The summer holidays are the perfect time to take a few minutes here and there to de-stress, make a memory, and enjoy all that the holidays were meant to be. Here are a few ideas and resources to get you started.
Favourite Christmas-themed books (teacher-tested and kid-approved!)
- Wombat Divine by Mem Fox
- Christmas Wombat by Jackie French
- Aussie Jingle Bells by Colin Buchanan
Favourite music for Christmas in Australia
I found some lovely YouTube videos of Australian Christmas songs for you to have a look at.
- Aussie Jingle Bells is for the kids
- White Wine in the Sun by Tim Minchin – for the grown-ups!
- Digital Radio station Elf Radio – full time Christmas music!!
Family activities to bring a smile and create a memory!
- Pretend Sleigh Ride: Play Jingle Bells (or any other lively music). Pull a laundry basket with a sturdy rope or slide it around, with your child in it. Add bells to the side of the basket to get the full effect.
- Pots and Pans Play-Along: Get out some wooden spoons and some pots and pans. Play along to your favourite Christmas music!
- Water Play: In this hot weather, anything with water is fun for adults and kids alike! Some ideas – using a spray bottle filled with water to spray each other, make wet footprints on the driveway, run in the sprinkler, use a paint brush and a bucket of water to paint pictures on the concrete path.
- Bubbles: Anyone who’s come to my classes knows what a big fan of bubbles I am. I personally believe if everyone played with bubbles it would lead to world peace! Get out your bubble blowers this holidays and let loose!
I hope that you and your families have a very safe and happy festive season!